E-way bills required under GST for the movement of goods across the country was expected to kick in on 1st February, 2018 but is still on a trial period. There are two ways in which you can generate your e-way bill – through the e-way bills portal and via SMS.
- Your registrations details on the portal.
You would need to register yourself on the portal before beginning the process, whether you are a registered taxpayer or unregistered transporter. For the unregistered ones, you may enroll and obtain your Transaction ID to move forward.
- Your Invoice/Bill/Challan of the consignment of goods.
- Your Transporter ID or the Vehicle number if goods are being transported by road.
- Your Transporter ID, Transport document number, and date on the document if goods are being transported by rail, air, or ship.
Step 1: Log onto www.ewaybillgst.gov.in and enter your username and password.
Step 2: From the dropdown of “e-Way bill,” click on “Generate New.”
Step 3: Fill up all the required information that you see on the screen which includes the following
- Transaction type – Inward if you are the receiver and Outward if you are the supplier.
- Sub-type – The options would depend on if you chose Inward or Outward. Choose the relevant option and move forward.
- Document type
- Document number
- Document date
- From/To if you are supplier and To/From if you are receiver. Enter URP in the GSTIN field if the supplier or client is an unregistered person.
- Item details – Mention all the details of the goods such as name, description, value, HSN code, quantity, tax details, etc.
- Transporter details – This deals with how the goods are transported, ie., Mode of transport along with the approximate distance (km).
You are also needed to enter either
- Transporter name, transporter ID, transporter Doc. No. & Date.
- Vehicle number in which consignment is being transported.
Step 4: After clicking on “Submit”, the e-way bill in the Form EWB-01 is processed and you also receive a 12-digit e-way bill number.
There you go, you have successfully generated your e-way bill which you need to carry along during journey. To print the same, under the Step 2, click on “Print EWB” instead of “Generate New.” You will be asked for your 12-digit number after which you can click on “Print.”